Thursday, February 7, 2008

11 - The Half Full Glass

Time for a little update, just noticed tonight that my first refill is about to run out, meaning I’ve been taking the Gleevec for two months now. I guess you could call this my 2 month cancerversary (read that term in Erin Zammet’s book, kinda stuck in my mind). Funny, it sure feels like a LOT longer than that!

Even though I currently feel great, there still is that little fear in the background that there is a chance I might not be able to see my kids grow up. In all honesty, the scariest thought of all of this Leukemia business is leaving Jill and the little ones behind. Somehow it also seems unfair to Jill since it’s not what she signed up for either (at least I don’t remember writing it in the Prenup :-)). But I guess it was covered in the “for better/for worse and in sickness and health” bit, just hadn’t expected it to come that quickly. Anyway, I diverge….. See how easy it is to feel sorry for yourself and seeing the glass half empty!! Have to be watchful for that and stay focused on the power of seeing the glass half full, ‘cause in all reality I’ll take 80% chances of remission any day over having been born 7/8 years earlier and having a Bone Marrow transplant be the only viable option!! Things could definitely be a lot worse.
Cheers,
Rob


These PSs were added the day after!


PS: Half empty glasses are easiest found alone, late at night, when the rest of the house is sound asleep.

PSPS: For fuller glasses: Curl up to your better half and hold on tight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rob,

I gotta say, welcome to the club. I know it is a crappy club to belong to but it is ours. I am hitting my two year cancerversary. It gets better. Sometimes you even forget about it. I know it seems hard to believe but I had to put a big sign in the kitchen reminding me to take my Gleevec. 400mg per night.

Best of luck to you and keep taking the meds. They suck in the beginning but your body will get used to them.

Mike