Friday, December 28, 2007

04 - The New Camry

Monday finally rolls around and off we go to the doctor to find out what the next steps are in the process. First I get the usual blood pressure and weigh in routine, already lost 4 pounds, which I attribute to drinking a tad bit less, something about drug/alcohol interactions. Just when you need it most!

The doctor is a very friendly, full of high-energy type of person, which under the circumstances is kind of a good thing I guess. After he asks how we’re coping he goes over the different treatments that exist and used to exist for CML. He explains that while bone marrow transplants were close to the only option 7 years ago, there is now this fantastic drug called Gleevec, and for those resistant to Gleevec there is already a 2nd generation drug from the same company that’s 50 times more powerful and has been approved for use on those that are resistant to Gleevec. This newer drug is now also in clinical trial for people whom have just been diagnosed with CML and are still in the chronic stage. This is the clinical trial he had referred to when he called the prior Friday to give me “the Verdict”.

His analogy to decide which drug to choose was strangely related to cars: if I was someone who wanted the newest Hybrid Camry (His choice, definitely not mine) when it came out then I should go for the Nilotinib (Super Gleevec). I responded by saying I’m the type to go for a model that’s been out for a year or two, when all the kinks have been worked out. And the way I saw it was that if the Gleevec didn’t work I’d have the option then to try the Nilotinib, while if for some reason the Nilotinib didn’t work I’d pretty much be all out of options. So I opted for the “safe route” and opted to start straight away on the Gleevec. I think he might have been a little disappointed to not have his new “test case”, but he seemed to understand my choice nonetheless. He must drive that new Camry Hybrid I guess, just hope it doesn’t break down too often…………………….

He also scheduled an appointment for me to go see the bone marrow transplant department in Los Angeles, so I could get started and find out if my sister is a match to me (25% chance), just in case my above option strategy didn’t pan out as planned.

1 comment:

Rhonda Radliff said...

Hey...
Glad things are moving along for you. There is another option as well. It's called Sprycel, made by Bristol Meyers Squibb. It's been around for a bit longer but is 300 times more powerful than Gleevec. It (supposedly) can get someone into remission in three months! I am on it and I must say that the side effects can be a drag, but they say that it is less than Gleevec. I can't compare since I haven't been on Gleevec.

In any case... I hope your holidays are great and that things continue to get better and better for you and your family.

Be mindful of your time and energy, as that's what I didn't do and just tried to proceed as normal. It can be a bit much to try and do everything and take the new medicine.

Cheers,
Rhonda
www.rhondaradliff.blogspot.com