Thursday, March 20, 2008

17 - The New Arrival

Well it’s exactly 3 weeks from now that there will a third female in the household (excluding dog), that is if the due date is a tad more accurate this time around (Ella was induced after being 2 weeks overdue, I know Jill hopes not to have to go through that again). All secret hopes for a boy have disappeared since the last ultrasound a week or so ago, but naturally I’m just as happy. I think the pregnancy has been fairly easy so far for Jill, or at least she hasn’t said much to the contrary. A little sleep deprived as of late due to uncomfortable sleeping positions, but overall it hasn’t been too bad, but who am I to say, I’m not carrying her around am I.

In general this pregnancy has been less filled with anticipation than the first time around (though we’re of course very excited, don’t get me wrong). Partially, probably, due to the fact that we’ve been through it before with Ella AND we know the sleepless nights that lay ahead. For another part it was a little overshadowed by the Leukemia diagnosis half way through, which then made us think of things like: should we sign up with a cord blood bank and store the cord blood, rather than, say, what color to paint the nursery.

All in all it’s hard to imagine there will be another little one in your life that you’ll love as much as you do the one that already is a part of your life, and who you know so well. But I’m sure that will be instant upon birth, as it was with Ella.

We’ve been asked if we would be trying for a third, you know the “give it a once more for a boy” pregnancy. We haven’t seriously discussed it too much, I think we both want to see where we’ll be at a year or so from now and then see. So for now, the answer is no, but we’re leaving the option open. Also, at this point I’m not even sure what effects the Gleevec might have in this regard if the man is taking it. I know it’s possible in the woman’s case, Like Erin Zammett did (though she quit taking Gleevec during the pregnancy all together, can’t have been an easy choice either) and according to Rob over in England it might not be an issue anymore, though nothing’s for certain. I guess I’ll have to ask the Doc.

Speaking of the Doc. I’ll be seeing him tomorrow and find out about my first PCR test results, which should hopefully give an indication if the Gleevec is doing it’s thing. A little anxious as you might imagine so: Keep your fingers crossed for me please!!

Cheers,
Rob

No comments: