Friday, March 14, 2008

14 - The Bad Week

The day before Valentine’s (Yes, that totally commercialized day in February) my wife and daughter got sideswiped by a driver who must have been blind. Trying to make a left turn across 2 lanes of traffic without seeing my wife in the middle lane and banging right into her!! All seems to be well at this point, though the car was a total loss. Unfortunately Jill had to spend 24 hours in the hospital for observation (well observation of the baby really), she was starting to have small contractions. Ella was given a once over but the headbang against the window did not seem to have fazed her (tough Dutch scull).

The next day Jill came home from the Hospital and I found out from Kaiser that my sister was not a Bone Marrow match to me (but in my heart I already knew that, due to my superior prettiness genes). A bit of a bummer, but I’m glad I found out after my sister’s visit.

Then Friday rolled around and my wife was told they wouldn’t be renewing her shared teaching contract for the upcoming school year. Which means she will either have to teach full-time or if we decide to do so quit all together (not a great option since we have Kaiser’s insurance through her work, and Gleevec costs around $110 per day). The shared contract has really worked out nice for us, since it means that Ella does not have to go to a babysitter too often (no grandparents around to do that dirty work for us). I usually work Tues-Sat and Jill works Mon-Tue/Wed, which makes our weekends together kind of short but it does give us the opportunity to raise our child and only have her go 1-2 days per week to the sitter. I guess we’ll have to come up with some new master plan……

I think that was bad news in triplicate, so I’m assuming we’ll be good for a while.

No comments: