Friday, March 21, 2008

19 - The First PCR Results

So, here's the PCR test damage with history:

12/3/2007 2.2X10-1 (.22 if I remember my high-school math correctly)
12/24/2007 8.5x10-5 (.000085)
03/07/2008 1.1x10-2 (.011)

So the middle result is obviously a little off and the doc ordered another PCR test for 3 weeks from now to get a better idea on the trend. As I started typing this Blog entry, I had a little lighbulb glow above my head with an idea on why the result on 12/24 seems so far off. I work with numbers a lot and have it happen quite often that when manually balancing figures on a 10-key I'm off by 3 (due to striking a wrong key; 6 instead of 9; 1 instead of 4 etc.). I wonder if this isn't just a simple input error where the 5 was hit rather than the 2, which would have put the results more in line with expectations. Either way the trend seems to be going into the right direction and I guess we'll find out a little more the next test around. BTW this means I have a 1 log reduction. The log bit means the decimal has moved over to the left one spot.

Example:
Base = 1
1 log reduction = .1
2 log reduction = .01 etc.

For those interested in the various stages of remission, here's a little summary:

Basically there are three stages or remission

  1. Complete hematological remission (CHR)- This is when the blood shows no sign of leukemia, the white count and platelets are within normal range. This usually occurs within a month of taking Gleevec and is the first stage of remission. Goal Attained!!
  2. Complete cytogenetic response- This is called CCR and occurs when out of 20-50 marrow cells, no cell with a Philadelphia chromosome was detected. - For this we do the Bone marrow at 6 months (now is too early yet according to my onc.)
  3. Finally we have molecular remission (MR) where out of upto 1 million cells, no BCR-ABL transcripts are detected. there are two stages of molecular response.
  • Major molecular response (MMR) which is when there has been a 3 log or more reduction in BCR-ABL transcripts from PCR compared to diagnosis values (1000-fold reduction). So a 1 log reduction after 3 months seems like a move in the right direction and I guess my goal figure here is .00022.
  • Complete molecular response is when no BCR-ABL transcripts are detected by PCR. Goal Figure 0.00000, You are now PCRU (PCRundetectable), The ultimate goal!!

PS: Doc liked the Shitty Chromosome Shirt, and called me a nerd for wearing it!! - Hey, at least he has a sense of humor!!

3 comments:

Annie - Steven's mom said...

Hi Rob
Good PCR result! Down is the way we want it to go. :-)
I hope you all have a wonderful, relaxed Easter weekend.
love and light
Annie
Steven's mom
http://livingwithcml.blogspot.com

Karin said...

Good news Bro! This news makes the sun shine a little bit again.

JE MAINTAINDRAI - Ik worstel en kom boven!

Lots of love, also for your ladies -

Xxx Your sister (the one with the lousy blood)

janvi said...

Hi..are you still active here on blogging??
Kindly mail me at janvikotiyal.irfan@gmail.com